Tabloid Whore!

8.23.2006

TRIBES WILL BE DIVIDED BY RACE ON SURVIVOR: COOK ISLANDS.


Hmm...I will admit that I don't think I've watched Survivor since it's All Stars edition a while back and don't really plan on going back to it. BUT, the peeps over at the show are still trying to get viewers to watch by constantly throwing in new twists and turns and they have a pretty lame one for the upcoming 13th installment of the series. Survivor's host Jeff Probst confirmed on The Early Show this morning that the participating cast members will be divided up not into 2 tribes as usual, but into four tribes divided by race. Ummm, okaaay. 20 cast members consisting of 5 whites, 5 blacks, 5 Asians and 5 Hispanics will compete against each other (or at least until the merge) to see who will be the "Ultimate Survivor." Probst doesn't see anything odd or distasteful about this new move and has defended the shows new twist by saying:
"The idea for this actually came from the criticism that Survivor was not ethnically diverse enough, because for whatever reason, we always have a low number of minority applicants apply for the show." "So we set out and said, let's turn this criticism into creative for the show. And I think it fits perfectly with what Survivor does, which is, it is a social experiment, and this is adding another layer to that experiment which is taking the show to a completely different level." "It's not just 18 white people." "Suddenly you have new slang, new rituals, people doing things like making fire in ways that haven't been done on Survivor. I think we have a season where people will say you can never go back to what you were before."
Hmmm, I'm all for an ethnically diverse cast on Survivor, but dividing the competitors by race doesn't feel too creative to me. As Probst said, it does bring the show to a completely different level, although, I'm not quite sure it's the level they had hoped to attain. Survivor: Cook Islands premieres September 14th on CBS.
Source: E! Online

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Suddenly you have new slang, new rituals, people doing things like making fire in ways that haven't been done on Survivor"

WTF?? Is he really saying that people of different races have different ways of making fires? Like, there's a Latino way to make a fire, an Asian way, an African American way?

This concept sounds incredibly stupid to me too.

12:32 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I like this new idea. I'll def. tune in though. At least for the first couple episodes.

12:51 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dumb idea. Even worse show. I think Survivor should bow out gracefully.

3:22 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonder why they don't have a Middle Eastern tribe???

3:48 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hollywood sucks!

4:59 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dumb idea trying to keep afloat.....what I find most lame is that I had read somewhere that out of the 20 contestants, something like 16 are from the LA area and 14 were actors of some sort.....I don't know what kind of a realty show that makes this

7:37 AM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm obviously in the minority(literally, as I am an African American female), but I like the idea. I don't think that a particular race would make fire differently, but I do believe that the interaction between like races will be interesting.

Additionally, having to assimilate and work with other races as the tribes merge, could make for a great social experiment.

Although, I haven't watched Survivor since the first season (I'm more a Big Brother couch potato), I fully intend to tune in this season.

11:53 AM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this idea! But I hope the show can find more ways to work in racial stereotypes. Like maybe all the latinos have to wear sombreros at the tribal council. The Asian tribe can be tasked to teach others to use chopstix. The tribes could put on competing minstrel shows with the African-American tribe picking the winner. The tribal names can be selected from common ethnic slurs. It's genius!

1:05 PM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boooooring i wont be watching this mess

3:30 PM, August 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home