Tabloid Whore!

3.02.2006

R.I.P. JIMMY FROM H.R. PUFNSTUF.

The actor who played Jimmy, the boy with the talking flute on H.R. Pufnstuf is dead. Actor Jack Wild was 53 and died Wednesday of cancer. After he had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy for mouth cancer in 2000, he was left unable to speak. Last year he had said "my lifestyle has made me a walking timebomb," blaming the cancer on years of boozing and smoking. I just loved that H.R. Pufnstuf show when I was little (along with Sigmund the Sea Monster), me and my sister used to watch it all the time. I didn't understand that whole psychedelic aspect or whatever, I just know the witchipoo scared me and I wanted to choke that weird talking golden flute to death.
source: AP

H.R. Pufnstuf, whose your friend when things get rough?
H.R. Pufnstuf can’t do a little cause he can’t do enough.
Once upon a summertime just a dream from yesterday
A boy & his magic golden flute heard a boat from off the bay
"Come and play with me, Jimmy. Come and play with me.And I will take you on a trip far across the sea."
But the boat belonged to a kooky old witch who had in mind the flute to snitch.
From her broom broom in the sky she watched her plans materialize.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good old days

2:47 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh i remember that show too, i loved it as well. Thanks for the nostalgic look back.
RIP Mr. Wild.

3:29 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the trip down memory lane.. I remember how I couldn't wait for that show. i also loved Sigmund ...Electric Company.... Question?? Do you remember the show with the pretty girl with the white go go boots, the guy with the weird moustache, and Henrietta Hippo? What was the name of that show? Anyway, if you rem. the otherrs shows, you have to rem. this one..
Good bye Jimmy Rest in peace.....

5:00 AM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the close-up pic of the flute in the pocket :) What memories this conjured up!!

Does the little boy look like a neat, smaller and drug-free version of Peter Dougherty? I feel like he might.

6:15 AM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was also the Artful Dodger in the movie "Oliver!"

10:45 AM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP. I love HR Pufnstuf!

11:27 AM, March 03, 2006  
Blogger Tabloid Whore! said...

Marcy,
It was "The New Zoo Review." Also, I just found out that HR Pufnstuf only had 17 episodes. Hard to imagine.

9:49 PM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually had his "album"...he was a heartthrob in "16 magazine" and now I'm showing my age! what great memories.........

6:14 AM, March 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home