Tabloid Whore!

9.30.2005

FILE THIS UNDER: "HEY BENJI! ARE YOU SURE YOU WANNA SAY THAT?"


You know how sometimes someone will do or say something so idiotic that you get embarrassed for them and after that are just kinda over them? Well, Benji Madden of the band Good Charlotte deserves that crown today. I just read the most ridiculous story on MTV.com about how he went off on Kelly Clarkson on Good Charlotte's website last month. Kelly was quoted in Entertainment Weekly saying she was disappointed that she has yet to be involved in one of those "pop rivalries" ala Britney/Christina. Kelly said, "I'm going to start a fight. Me and Hilary Duff. Isn't she always in the news for being in fights with some other chick? (That chick being Lindsay Lohan) "I want to be the new one. Two Texas girls go at it. And maybe throw in Beyonce (Knowles). That's three Texas girls." Cute, harmless, funny and obvious joke, right? Well, this is where it gets stupid. Apparently, Madden didn't see it that way, or maybe he is just a little too bent out of shape that Kelly is the one dominating the music charts of late. Hilary Duff (who just turned 18) is also his 26 year old twin brother Joel Madden's (also of Good Charlotte) little girlfriend. Benji went on to post the following on his website blog:

"My mom told me if I didn't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all, so I won't say 'Amercian Idol' sux, but it does make me laugh when someone like Kelly Clarkson disses someone like Hilary Duff, 'cause let's not forget Kelly (BTW-Kanye West thinks u have a nice a--, I saw him look at it one time ... me, I prefer the more fit look), you were a 'contestant' on a TV show. Hilary made herself."

And this guy calls himself punk rock???? First off, Kelly is known as probably one of the sweetest, most down to earth girls in pop music today and her quote was so obviously said in jest. Secondly, no question that Hilary Duff is a sweetheart and I even like that song she did that's the theme song to Laguna Beach. But we all know that Hilary did not "make" herself in music. She got her record deal because of her celebrity and the hit Disney TV show she was on. Truth be told, she can't sing for shit. Yes, Kelly may have been discovered on American Idol, but the girl can (as Paula Abdul would say,) "blow." And the comments he made about Kelly's booty "I prefer the more fit look", well, as a woman, I would trade bodies with Kelly any day over Duff's new lollipop look.

Benji Madden's idiotic posts were quickly removed off his website, probably due to overwhelming embarrassment and loss of punk rock cred. When MTV News talked to him the other night at Hilary's 18th birthday party he said, "Here's the thing, I heard that she said some petty things about someone I care deeply about, so I just made some petty remarks 'cause I'm a petty guy. Straight up, I'm from Waldorf, Maryland, you guys. Let's not forget that. You take shots, I take shots. I love you, Kelly- it's all good." Um, yah, whatever. Don't try to save face now! Seems like this wasn't the first time one of the Madden brother's did something idiotic to "defend" Hilary's honor. MTV News reported once that Joel (the one actually dating Hilary) made Lindsay Lohan's 8 year old little brother Cody cry when he refused to give him an autograph until his sister apologized for her feud with Duff. Now it makes even more sense why this 26 year old man dates a 17 (oops, just turned 18!) year old.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare anyone diss Kelly. She is so damn sweet in an industry that's full of idiots like this guy. AND I would love to have Kelly's Bootie. Baby's got Back!

8:25 PM, September 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, i feel like such a loser right now, me posting a comment!!! anywhore. yeah i like benji but i seriously don't think he should be saying bad shit about other people dissing his bro's gf. Hilary Duff is 18 now she's not a little girl anymore. let her diss the people, not you.

--sum one--

7:01 PM, November 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't be fooled with what u read. some people has the 'talent' to twist the story. especially when it comes from a person who hates him or anyone who is related to benji. u must listen to both side to make a judgement. benji has the right to defend joel's gf and when i read about what kelly said to hilary about having a fight, i myself, wouldn't agree with what she said. i love her so much. she has a great voice and better than hilary. i love her music cuz its very avril lavigne. but when she said something like that, about starting a fight, some people might think its a joke while others don't. u might wanna say it just because it sounds funny to u but not to other people. everyone knows that media is an expert in making a small issue turns big. and everyone knows that media can and is really great in twisting a story just to make the readers to be on their side or against the celebs. let's not make this issue a big deal all right people.

7:36 PM, December 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, first of all, I'm a Benji fan. However, I disagree with what Benji said about Kelly. I think it was inappropriate for two reasons:

1.) No man should ever bag on a woman, regardless of how he feels about her. In this point, I think he needed to grow some b*lls and let s**t go.

2.) Secondly, Hilary (and Kelly as well) was discovered, not 'made', as Benji would like you to believe. The *industry* made them (as it did with Good Charlotte); they did not make themselves. I don't know too much about Kelly's past, but I would imagine that she put forth more effort than Hilary to get where she is. From what I've heard, Kelly's had to sing in bars and similar places, and I honestly cannot see Hilary doing anything remotely 'adult' like that. Kelly uses her talent as a singer and performer and Hilary just sits there like a bleach-blonde poster girl for all things happy and bubblegum.

Readdressing the issue that I mentioned earlier about Benji baggin' on Kelly, it really makes me frickin' wonder, why didn't he b*tch about Eminem? If you all remember, Eminem has a song called "@$$ Like That" and there's a line about Hilary in that song. I think Benji was a little bit too chicken s**t to call out Eminem, cuz let's face it, Eminem is considered streetwise and tough, and Benji only has the image of being streetwise and tough. I'm not sure how "hardcore" and "ghetto" the mean streets of Waldorf are, but I'd say the streets in Detroit (where Eminem is from) are probably a bit more dangerous.

I just think what Benji said was a mistake, and I also think that he could've gone at it with a better attitude instead of trying to be all protective of his brother's girlfriend. Hilary's not Benji’s girlfriend, so why's he so worried about it? I think the only one that should be saying anything at all is Hilary herself, and perhaps even Joel (I don't know if he did or not), if he thought the Kelly comment was significant enough to address.

All in all, we're only humans and we do make mistakes and screw up sometimes. I'm sure Benji got used to the taste of his own foot in his mouth, and hopefully if anything like this were to happen in the future, he'll choose his battles more wisely, because this one was really nothing but a trivial piece of fluff to be laughed at and then simply discarded; not rehashed and drawn out like it was.

8:36 PM, February 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home